Saturday, March 13, 2010

Lazy Saturday Mornings

I'm enjoying some peace and quiet on this lovely Saturday morning. My husband is at work and Abdu is at Arabic school. I sit here thinking about the lovely breakfast of fresh croissants and coffee we just ate while watching my ever expanding belly bounce around. It is a wonderful feeling.

Life had been very good lately. Normal. Routine. Almost mundane. Still, it's good.

I really have no clue what to write, and really I feel as though my brain is on vacation. I think I'll go for a list. Lists are fun, right? If not, just humor me. Please.

1. Abdu is doing great in the first grade. His teacher believes in him and pushes him to do better. His abilities in math and science have landed him in a math mentorship program with Lockheed Martin. He attends a special class in a small group on Wednesdays, and he enjoys coming home to show me all of the "hard stuff" he learned. He struggles a bit on the playground, but things are improving. He's begun to take taekwondo classes after school and that has given him some confidence outside of the classroom amongst his peers.

2. Abdu is also doing great in his arabic and islamic studies. I've seen so much improvement in the last 4 or 5 months. He just seems so eager to learn, and he loves it when he does well. He's well behaved and polite at school....always wanting his teachers to be proud of him. My husband picks him up from school for some much needed man time together.

3. I'm still working nights in that Pathology lab. I'm getting much more sleep than I previously was, and planning for an extended hiatus(3 months) from work in July. I'll return to work part-time(30hrs/week) until I feel the baby is old enough to be in childcare.

4. Speaking of the baby. I recently had my first ultrasound and things are looking well. It was a long exam that included a meeting with a genetic counselor, a level 2 ultrasound and a fetal echo. All of this was because of Abdu's congenital heart defect. The good news is that baby looks great...growing on schedule with no apparent body or heart defects. I do know the sex, but I cannot share :) My husband wants to be suprised so I have to keep it a secret. I've only told my immediate family. You will find out with everyone else in about 4 months.

5. Husband is doing well. He's a very hard worker, and I'm proud of the accomlishments he's made in such a short time. We are now approaching 8 months since his return home. We have settled into a more comfortable routine, and I've been able to undo a lot of the damage that my MIL and SIL did to him while he was in Algeria.

I'll attempt to come back to update in a few weeks after I have my next prenatal check-up.

10 Comments:

Blogger Organica said...

I am so happy to read this wallahi.

Alhumdulilah.

Allah always has a way of bringing ease after hardship.

Love you :)

11:12 AM  
Blogger iMuslimah said...

Mashaallah love the good news! I hope inshallah all is well and that you are enjoying your pg. Im happy to hear your small family is back together and thriving.

It appears you are several weeks ahead of me *wink, wink* !!!!

Salams :)

9:20 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

MashaAllah, I'm so happy to hear/read from you. :)
Alhamdulileh life is back to normal!
SubhanAllah.
I love how you describe the feeling of the baby bouncing around...mashaAllah...
Which Arabic school does Abdu go to?
MashaAllah, he's always done well in Arabic, I remember.
What a smartypants! mashaAllah.
Alhamdulileh for your great news w/ the ultrasound!!
Care to share what damage was done to your hubby by your in-laws?? ;)

Love you & look forward to more news!
Believe it or not, your readers love reading!

p.s. you're several weeks ahead of me, too mashaAllah. :)

7:05 PM  
Blogger Crysmissmichelle said...

been missing ya!

7:36 PM  
Blogger Rainbow In The Grey Sky said...

Aslamu alakum ukti
it's really nice to read you blogging again and your doing just great at it , mashaallah Alhamduilah for all the blessings you have as the sister said after the hardship comes the ease.

I am sorry to read about dh and the in-laws Allah al must'aan. Sometimes its just the way families are, in my experience over stepping boundaries.

how many months are you now?

5:02 PM  
Blogger UmmAbdurRahman said...

I guess I should clarify about the in-laws. They didn't do anything wrong to him other than treat him like a big baby. He left here doing certain things and unwilling to do those same things when he returns...the old men don't do that in algeria routine.

7:59 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Well, my "man doesn't do that here, either." ;)

I'm always surprised to hear about women who get their Arab husbands to do "women's work" in America....I always wonder, how did that happen? It never happened over here! It's very un-American of us....but alhamdulileh, I've gotten used to it and I understand my husband's point of view.

He says, "I never ask you to help out with my job or expect you to bring in money, so why should you expect me to help out with your job?"

He's got a point, and I don't want to rock the boat.

Umm Abdu, your situation is different, as it is for any woman also working outside the home - because you DO help bring in money. So that's different, and just logically, things need to be split then in order to have time for it all.

Alhamdulileh wa mashaAllah. :)

7:55 AM  
Blogger UmmAbdurRahman said...

I wouldn't go as far as to say that things are split. I still do the majority of the work in the house including making my husband's plate and things like that. MashaAllah I don't mind those things. I do mind when I would ask for help and he would say no men don't do that. He was stuck in that mentality and it was hard to get him out of. He wakes up Abdu and fixes him breakfast(Cereal or oatmeal), prepares his lunch, and will throw clothes in the wash. It's enough to keep me sane alhamdulillah.

I don't expect him to be in the kitchen cooking dinner every day(actually he only cooks his chicken for lunch bc poultry disgusts me when Im pregnant), cleaning the bathroom, or vacuuming. We're pretty set in those traditional roles, but kind of in a non-traditional way...if that even makes sense.

It's enough that it's working for us now.

10:23 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Alhamdulileh. That's great! Seriously.

I should add, to be fair, that often on weekend mornings my husband does do some stuff - usually food and/or kid-related, just for fun, like cook them breakfast (I still do the dishes). He also gets them ready to go out w/ him (usually to the gym to swim mashaAllah) on Sundays while I go to my Arabic class. Walhamdulileh! I love that, mashaAllah. Can't take stuff for granted!

:)

12:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Found your blog today,read all your old posts-please update-how are you and family doing?baby?

3:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home